Geelong Secondary School Program 2019
Geelong Library Heritage Centre
30 August 2019
We would like to thank the principals, teachers, parents, students and the wonderful staff at the Geelong Library Heritage Centre who worked with us to make this program possible. Participating students came from the following schools:
- Mount Clear College
- Oberon High School
- Saint Ignatius College, Geelong
- Star of the Sea College
- Matthew Flinders Girls Secondary College
- Highview College
- Hume Anglican Grammar
- The Grange P-12 College
Capturing the Memories
- 'I liked learning how to develop more detailed and specific history questions.'
- 'I learned about the pathways of a historian’s insight into historical perspective.'
- 'Teamwork – getting to work with like-minded people.'
- 'It was fun and really well run!'
- 'I thoroughly enjoyed discussion, especially as a group.'
- 'I learned how to use sources that reveal little to learn a lot.'
- 'In the future I will use the skills I learned to analyse things and also reaching out to the library to help me.'
- 'I gained an understanding of how history can be incorporated into a career path and all the opportunities that there are for me to develop my passion for history.'
- 'Lots of activity ideas on how to challenge students’ historical thinking.'
- 'I have a new appreciation for history and the different ways to teach it.'
- 'Venue fantastic!'
- 'Creative ways of approaching history.'
- 'Great strategies to use with the students.'
- 'Love the ‘hands on’ stuff.'
- 'As a non-history teacher (but head of humanities) I have thoroughly enjoyed today and feel more confident in teaching humanities to my students.'
- 'The HTAV have been and are a real support to teachers every year, that one or two days out of the classroom – gold!'
- 'Outstanding teaching ideas for hooks into history.'
- 'Fabulous range of lectures, workshops and historical analysis. Many skills and knowledge learnt. Engaging content and use of props.'