Peer Mentoring Program
The History Teachers’ Association of Victoria (HTAV) strives to improve the quality of History teaching and support its members to flourish through professional learning, networking and peer mentoring. With this in mind, the HTAV Peer Mentoring Program aims to bring together History teachers at all levels in their professional careers to create a community of support and experience.
The Peer Mentoring Program enables History teachers to meet, talk and share experiences in a casual setting. Mentors offer 6–8 hours of support throughout the year at times that suit you both. Mentoring can be a coffee meeting, Skype, drinks after a conference or event, email or phone call. Offers of assistance beyond the 6–8 hours are not expected but can be negotiated privately between the mentor and mentee.
Applications for the Peer Mentoring Program are accepted during Term 1, with application forms made available on the HTAV website. Mentors will be paired with their mentees in Term 2, or when an appropriate mentee is available. At the end of the year, HTAV will seek feedback on both mentor and mentee experiences.
Why join the HTAV Peer Mentoring Program?
We all seek advice from others in some capacity – a quick question in the staffroom, a chat over coffee at a conference or tossing a query to a social media group. Joining the Peer Mentoring Program as a mentor or mentee facilitates these conversations. It will allow insight into your History teaching practice, reinvigorate your teaching skills, broaden your professional network and make a difference in the lives of other History teachers.
Please don’t let thinking ‘I’m not an expert’ prevent you from joining as a mentor. Even a few years of teaching or leadership is a wealth of experience for someone who is starting out.
- Mentor Application Form 2019 and Mentor Guidelines
- Mentee Application Form 2019 and Mentee Guidelines
Please submit applications to Michelle Pitcher, Membership and Events Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday 5 April 2019.
HTAV would like to thank the 2018 mentors for sharing their knowledge and expertise with inexperienced teachers:
- Dr Michael Adcock, Melbourne Grammar School (2 mentees)
- Judy Anderson, retired
- Katrina Davey, St Catherine's School
- Diana Di Conza, St Francis Xavier College
- Geraldine Ditchburn, Education Consultant (2 mentees)
- Kathryn Keen, Shepparton High School
- Bill Lewis, Haileybury Keysborough
- Elisa Litvin, Assumption College
- Ashley Keith Pratt, Melbourne Girls' Grammar School
- Jenny Pudney, Mount Erin College
- Eric Ryan, Methodist Ladies’ College
- Maddi Schmidt, St Francis Xavier College
Please note: The HTAV Peer Mentoring Program is open to all HTAV members. Ensure your membership is active to partake in the program.